Social Media Icons

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Fall Stitching

Rain!
The word "Fall" in my title is more optimistic than actual! We are still in the low 90s here, but we have promises from the meteorologists that it is will be more fall-like starting next week. We did finally receive rain - almost 2-1/2 inches last Sunday - whee! It was glorious!

Beautiful header from Pattie's blog
I have been a fan girl of Pattie at Olla-Podrida blog for years, and have enjoyed her delicious recipes, gorgeous tablescapes, book and gadget reviews, and hysterical "real" life posts. While you are on her blog, search for "The Perils of Pattie" posts - I guarantee you will laugh out loud!

When Skeletons Dance - Photo from 123Stitch.com, where the pattern is available.
Pattie also cross stitches, and this week she inspired me with this post about her latest project in the hoop - When Skeletons Dance - a delightful Halloween-themed cross stitch by Drawn Threads. You can find the pattern on 123Stitch.com

Although I am having "motivation issues" (I'm blaming it on the weather), I did enjoy purchasing several fall-themed flosses. Choosing floss is probably my favorite part of cross stitching!

Hello Fall
This pattern from Willow Creek Stitch Co is first on my list. I found it on Pinterest, but the pin lead me to the Etsy shop, where the pattern is not available. Apparently the pattern was free in 2023, but I could not find the actual pattern anywhere. So I just enlarged the pin photo, since it has the floss guide printed on the bottom. Here is the link to the pin: Hello Fall

Autumn Patchwork by Melisa
Melisa at  Pinker 'n Punkin Quilting and Stitching generously shares her exquisite cross stitch designs for free! I recently snagged this one called Autumn Patchwork - isn't it sweet! Melisa thoughtfully provides printouts for floss colors, instructions, and photos in black and white as well as in color.

Fall Colours by Stitch Wit
I love the design and the colors on this one. I bought the digital pattern from Stitch Wit. I am excited but curious to see how it goes for me!

In other news . . . my grand niece is expecting a baby in December - my great-grand nephew! Her theme is Forest Creatures using green, brown, tan, and gold. I am considering this flannel from Ben Franklin Online store for the backing! And go look at my inspiration photo - it is made by Nancy of Grace and Peace Quilting and is the first quilt on this post . I love it!

I am still slowly but surely working on the Christmas embroidery series Floral Baubles by Joy at Days Filled With Joy blog. Sadly, Joy's father passed away recently, as noted in this post by Joy. Joy's parents had moved into an ADU on her property back in May, as detailed here in this post. I'm so sorry for her and her "Mum"!

Those are a few of the projects I am looking forward to stitching while pretending it is fall. What have you got going on in your world?

16 comments :

  1. it is so nice that you got rain and more rain for over a total of 2 inches I am sure the ground just drank it up. We need it nice and slow to soak in good. The stitching looks really pretty I don't know why I have never gotten into it much. that flannel is cute if you decide to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fabric and your inspiration is perfect! And all those cross-stitches, my eyes are crossing just looking at them. LOL Enjoy your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forest friends is such a sweet theme for a baby room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got some fun projects lined up. That flannel backing fabric will be perfect for a baby quilt backing. Hope you get your cool down this weekend. Houston is enjoying the low 90's highs along with you. I'm envious of My Guy who's been enjoying the cool down at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I would love to have two inches of rain. Lucky you! I can see from your picture that your grass is as brown as mine, so no doubt you needed the rain. The cross stitch patterns look fun— I need to get mine out again and work on them. Maybe you will inspire me! Good luck with the baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you come north you won't have to pretend it is fall, LOL, it's 53 degrees at 7am this morning and hitting 60s I think. I want some of your warmth can you send it up please!!! Cross stitch can really lead you down a deep hole on Pinterest, but oh so fun! I think I should start something new to keep my fingers busy in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shout out! That floss you selected is gorgeous! Those colors! You have sent me off looking for free cross stitch patterns with a fall theme. I have finished, I think, "Skeletons Dance." I outlined a few things.The ghosts at the window looked a bit like white blobs so I thought I'd outline them. Now they look like outlined white blobs. Sigh. I LOVE your Christmas quit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for rain! Send some up north here, please! Your stitching projects look fun - that Halloween one looks amazing. I loved Pattie's post about it - something that huge would take me forever, especially filling in that moon. How fun to know that "Columbo" is the key to finishing that project! Are you making a 99 Charms quilt for the baby? I love those, and want to make one, too! That Forest flannel is adorable - the perfect inspiration for colors for the front. Have fun, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Linda, I am so glad you got a spot of rain. I am sure it is much needed . We have been spending time in Texas these last few days and yes, it has been hot. LOL. Skeletons Dance is an adorable pattern . Aaw and thank you so much for adding Autumn Patchwork to your fall stitching list. Congratulations on the birth of your great grand nephew. That is such a sweet flannel backing you are considering. You reminded me that I need to finish my 3rd Floral Bauble. I have the pieces all laid out and then I need to get to the embroidery. Your block looks so lovely. Happy stitching , sweet friend. Hugs and Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, great to see all the variety going on in your neighborhood and home. I'm glad my quilt inspired you! Yours is going to be so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Linda! Wasn’t the rain beautiful! On Tuesday we had a steady rain for almost 24 hours! Yesterday we had a bit of rain and this morning, I enjoyed some fog – which is rare in Southern New Mexico. I am also hoping for cooler temps as well.
    Your fall flosses are so pretty! Melisa is certainly sweet and generous. While I struggle with cross stitch, I’ve found Pattern Keeper is my best flossy friend.
    Congratulations on your great-grand nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicki is right, fall is here! I hope you get some cooler weather soon, so you can feel fall while you are working on all those great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to have the rain - the grass will soon be green again - ours is. Love the When Skeletons Dance panel. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rain is a good thing....Maine has had a drought and every time they threaten rain it seems to go around us. Fun project you are taking up! I hope it brings the cooler weather to you. We have had to turn our heat on....I don't suffer like some new englanders waiting until Oct 1 or Nov 1 or Thanksgiving. I can't function if I am cold!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flannel fabric is adorable and will make a great backing for a baby quilt. Your embroidery stitches look so good, Linda.

    ReplyDelete

If you are showing as Anonymous, please leave an email address in your comment so I can thank you!