Social Media Icons

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Getting Back To Normal

My sewing room is a neglected mess! And whatever "normal" is, we are slowly but surely getting back to it. August is a month to forget. After my last post, my husband saw a neurologist who tested him and tentatively diagnosed an S-1 nerve compression causing the pain in his knee. She referred him to a pain specialist who agreed with the diagnosis and said it was "probably not" the post herpetic neuralgia diagnosed at the ER. But an MRI was necessary before he could begin treatment. 

My husband was in so much pain, but to our horror we just could not get the MRI scheduled. We ran into so many roadblocks, and I began to think that was a "sign" not to do it. And sure enough, thanks to a proactive radiologist, we found out one of his implanted medical devices prohibits an MRI!

Thankfully his pain began to subside a couple of weeks ago (thank you for your positive thoughts and prayers!), and after discussion with his pain doctor, he will "wait and see how it goes". If the pain returns, he and his doctor will revisit other testing and treatment options.

Meanwhile, I had my fourth MOHS surgery last week, this time for a basal cell carcinoma on the bottom of my chin. The scar is from just below my lip to underneath my chin - 1-1/2 inches, but it won't require plastic surgery. Stitches will be removed tomorrow. I had three MOHS surgeries in 2023 - two on my nose and one on my cheek. Fingers crossed this was the last one!

I hope to make a progress post in a few days - but first I need to make a list. I can only spend a certain amount of time in my sewing room thanks to it being the warmest room in the house!

You have ALL kept me inspired with your posts and beautiful projects!

14 comments :

  1. Oh dear, Linda, August was a terrible month for you and your DH. I didn't know that you were having health issues as well. Bless your heart. I will continue to keep you both in my prayers. Even if you can spend a few minutes in the sewing room doing what you love will be nice. Do take care. Gentle hugs and Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have definitely had a month, Linda! I'm so glad they realized your hubby should not have an MRI before they tried one. That's great news that his pain level is better - chronic pain is the pits! I bet it's a relief to have that MOHS surgery behind you, too. The good thing about quilting projects and sewing rooms is that they are very patient and will wait for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. even with the blinds down in your sewing room I see how it would be hot - mine is like that most of the summer so we got wooden blinds as the light color ones just let too much in and then we got them for the rest of the house too. Glad your stitches are coming out. Looking forward to seeing what you will work on next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor kids! What a month it has been for you. Surely things can only get better, right? I feel bad for your husband being in so much pain because that is really difficult to deal with, particularly when you can’t see any end in sight. As for you, I’m sorry that you have had to undergo so many MOHS surgeries. I want you two to stop it right now and have a wonderful September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for navigating the new "normal." I LOVED reading less pain for your husband. Regarding the MRI and the medical devices. . .God is with us all the time. . .sometimes, it takes us longer to figure it out! May less pain continue! Three MOHS surgeries.--Wow--that's a whole different level of pain. Smiling, laughing and talking. . .all would be affected with a face wound. May you heal quickly from this last surgery and get back to creating joy in that studio space! I've missed reading about your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for returning to a normal, sorry you two had so much medical stuff on your plate. Hopefully you will soon be able to get back to your quilty projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad your husband is having some relief from pain! We feel so helpless when a loved one is in pain. I've had two MOHS surgeries - one above my upper lip and one on my scalp. Not a lot of fun, but I guess it depends on location, location, location...Quilt on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes those MOHS surgeries are not fun! Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear you both got through the worst of it, Linda. Your studio looks full of inspiration! I like the idea of making a list and checking it twice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! Pain is fatigue inducing as well as frustrating. I’m so glad your radiologist was proactive! Yes! I pray you’ve had your last MOHS surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m so happy to hear that your hubbie’s pain has subsided (or at least lessened). I have been praying for him! I hope September will be a better month for both of you! I also hope you can back to the sewing room and the joy of creating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You two have not had much fun going on lately, but I'm glad both of you are on the mend. Hope hubs knee continues to heal well. Maybe some quiet days of cleaning the quilt room will be just what you need. And likely inspire more projects, if you're like me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's great that you have tremendous talent in sewing. I don't have talent in crafts but I enjoy seeing the creations and projects of those who have the talent.
    I love to clean and organize my apartment.
    Thank you so much for sharing. Warm greetings from a retired lady living in Montreal, Canada ❤️ 😊 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete
  13. Health problems are just no fun at all. Glad Your Guy is doing much better. Hopefully you are done with the all the facial surgeries. A cool down is forecast for us next week, hopefully that goes for you too and it will be easier to spend time in the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete

If you are showing as Anonymous, please leave an email address in your comment so I can thank you!