Social Media Icons

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Lonesome Sewing Room

Things have been a bit quiet in the sewing room lately because my husband has been dealing with severe leg pain. As you know, when your loved one is hurting or sick, it is hard to concentrate on anything else.

He was had shingles in April. It started with a rash on his left torso, and the infamous shingles pain concentrated in his left leg. He stayed on the prescribed meds, and then one day, after 2-1/2 weeks of pain, it dramatically stopped. In July we both received shingles vaccinations.

The first weekend in August, his leg began to hurt, and we went to see his doctor, who thought it might be a strain or pulled muscle or tendon and ordered an MRI. Long story short, insurance coding delayed the MRI, and by this past Monday, his pain was so severe we headed to the ER. He was given morphine and Dilaudid for the pain, and neither helped! Finally, based on no abnormal results on X-rays or a CT scan, he was diagnosed with post-herpetic neuralgia, which is pain that occurs after the shingles rash has disappeared and is unaffected by normal pain medication because it is nerve pain. He went home with a prescription for an increased dose of Gabapentin, a shingles pain medication, and that is where we stand.

The pain has pretty much concentrated in his knee, and he can hardly bear weight on his leg and has to use my sewing chair to either sit and roll or to use as a walker to move around. I have gently suggested he order a walker, which would be a nice thing to have around as we age, but he seems to think ordering one is some kind of confirmation that he is an "old man". At some point I guess I'll have to tell him I'd like my sewing chair back - lol!

We are waiting for a neurologist's office to call, as the ER doctor suggested they might provide alternatives for chronic pain.

I am in my room today and hope to do something, anything to get my mind away from the constant worry. I don't mind the extra work around the house, and our son-in-law can come over to help with yardwork, but trying to help keep his mental state hopeful is difficult. I am proud of his determination to keep going and to get better, but he does get down in the dumps - who can blame him? And do I even need to mention this terrible heat that is so discouraging?

But I keep praying and know this will all pass and hope to update soon with a more encouraging report!

11 comments :

  1. Oh dear Linda, I am so sorry to hear about the pain and discomfort that your dear husband is in. I have heard that shingles are terrible and to have the lingering effects and complications from it is awful. It is so wonderful that you have family nearby to help in any chores that need to be done. I wish him a very speedy recovery and will keep you both in my prayers. I hope time in the sewing room will give you a few moments of distraction from the worry. You both take care. Warm hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Linda, I am so sorry to hear about your hubby's pain issues. Nerve pain is awful, and so hard to manage. Mike has a pinched nerve in his neck that affects his shoulders and arms and figuring that out took a long time. One solution to his pain was a type of injection right into the spot where the discs are pinching the nerve. It has helped him feel better for a year now. Maybe that is something that could help your guy? We were referred to a pain doctor, who has really been good and knowledgeable about this. As for the sewing chair - maybe you just need a new one, so there will be two! 😘 Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike had to use a walker for just a little bit after he got home from the hospital and having to use it seemed to make him determined to get stronger - he sure didn't want to use it, he also has a cane but only used it for the first month after he got home and it is in the closet now next to the walker and if needed they are there. I understand if he is thinking of the walker as an old man tool - I think none of us want to admit we are getting older and might need assistance one day.
    I hope his pain will lessen and a medication will help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pain is a terrible thing to have to deal with on an ongoing basis. I will be praying for him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the pain medication is working well for the time being. I know it is hard, but try to do some simple sewing. I will help with your spirit so you can be there for him.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a story! We've seen shingles in action with some of our friends, and it is the darnedest thing: pain everywhere and no easy solutions, except for maybe a sewing chair! We've been hitting the ill health/aging wall lately, too, and it is frustrating and frightening all in one. You have my sympathy and hope that this will pass and that there won't be long-term damage/pain. I think we'll all be ordering walkers at some point, but I'd like to start with those 3-wheeled ones that look sporty. Hugs from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry his pain has gone on so long. I hope that he gets something soon to help. It sure is hard to accept that sometimes we can't do all we used to. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief! Prayers for you and Mr. Quilt Gal. My nephew currently has shingles and he said it is just terrible. I got the vaccine a number of years ago because I’ve heard such horrendous stories about that. I have issues with nerve pain, but I’ve never had anything like you’ve described. I feel so sorry for him, and for you. It’s very difficult, as a spouse, to see your loved one going through something knowing that you can’t do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I do sympathize with you. My husband had a bad virus, maybe brought on by cleaning bird feeders, then he had pneumonia. I hope yours recovers soon, and understand his not wanting a walker, but it does help you not injure some other part! I hope you get some sewing done soon and he recovers...it is both a worry and a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I am so sorry to hear that he is going through so much pain. And it affects you as well! I sure hope he gets some relief soon and that he is able to get back to his usual way of life. Glad you have family close by to help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry Your Guy is dealing with all that nerve pain. It's some of the hardest pain to treat and it's so hard on the one hurting. Hope he gets in to a specialist soon and they have better alternatives. It's hard, but remember to take care of yourself and your mental health, it's hard on you too.

    ReplyDelete

If you are showing as Anonymous, please leave an email address in your comment so I can thank you!