The Barbie Coin quilt is a flimsy! After sewing the strips into sets I realized the finished quilt would not be wide enough, so I added one more coins column, intermittent sashing, and a border. The dimensions are 75" x 84", and it should fit Laney's bed nicely. This quilt is based on the beautifully designed Rosie Coin Quilt by Rachel Hauser at Stitched in Color. I added a few stars to my version.
This was the tentative layout prior to sewing strips together
I will repurpose a backing originally created for another project!
Laney and Everett visited in June and made patriotic pillows! Before they arrived, I took the Barbie quilt off the design wall, labeled each column numerically, and stacked them on a shelf in my closet. Laney walked straight into the closet, spotted the stack, and immediately recognized that it was hers - love that child!
I am linking with:
Kate's 15 Minutes to Stitch
Melva's Sew and Tell
Brenda's Monday Musings
Alycia's Finished Or Not Friday
I love it!! I am first now getting to blogs this evening and didn't see this until now. I love the soft colors you used with a few dark ones thrown it - really neat. Love seeing the grandchildren, you sure have young ones compared to me.
ReplyDeleteThat is so pretty, Linda! I love the stars you added to the coin layout. So funny that Laney found the parts of it, even when you thought you had so carefully hidden it away!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the addition of the stars, it breaks up the coins perfectly. Your grands did a great job on their pillows.
ReplyDeleteThe Barbie coin quilt turned out beautifully. The stars give it a bit of pizazz. The grandkids did great with the pillows.
ReplyDeleteI love the soft colors and the added stars. The flag pillows are so fun - what a great idea! Gotta love that Laney could eyeball her quilt even before it was all sewn!
ReplyDeleteAaw what a sweet photo of your grandchildren. The little flag pillows are fabulous and even more special is that y'all made warm memories. I have been wondering how you were doing on the Barbie quilt. This quilt speaks to me. ( My daughter was nicknamed Barbie by her teammates LOL). I had to giggle when your granddaughter went straight to the closet and spotted her quilt in progress. What a sweetie! There is nothing like grandchildren is there? Have a beautiful day, Linda. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteIt's a beautiful top - smart child! xx
ReplyDeleteVery beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThe stars make that top and how wonderful that she "spotted" it on your shelf and knew it was hers. She is a quilter in the making!
ReplyDeleteYour grandkids are so cute, and I am totally crushing over those pillows.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun time spent with the kids, and their flag pillows are so cute. The Barbie quilt must have been calling her name from that closet. LOL
ReplyDeleteAdorable! And cute story. She needs to be a detective. LOL!
ReplyDeleteLove that quilt! The colors are perfect for a young lady...a smart young lady. Look at those smiles on their sweet faces. They did such a good job on their pillows!
ReplyDeleteWell you know the pillows jumped out at me! Love them. The Barbie Coin quiltis amazing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute story about her finding the quilt top!!! The top turned out beautiful, and now you know she will treasure it!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Snowcatcher! I appreciate your visit.
DeleteThe flag pillows turned out great and they look so proud. The Barbie Coin quilt top is such a sweet project..….and I think the spacers add to the whole thing.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on graduating the Barbie Coins to a full-fledged quilt top finish! That's always such a good stop in the road. And I love that she recognized her quilt -- what a charmer. Fun patriotic pillows, too!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely color palette on this one!
ReplyDeleteBarbie Coin is beautiful, great job grandma! Their pillows are nice too, happy stitching!
ReplyDeleteLove the star blocks added into the Barbie Coins! And you can't fool Laney, even by hiding the strips in the closet. The pillows are so much fun!
ReplyDeleteYay! I love the dragonfly fabric. <3 Thanks for sharing in sew & tell.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful, Linda!! I love the stars amongst the coins! So cute and I love the fabrics. Good for Laney. I know she's excited it is almost ready for her! The pillows are fantastic too! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteThat’s a wonderful quilt Linda! It’s so cool how you made it your own by adding the stars. The kids are so cute with their pillows. They did a great job! I love how the little boy put a strip of Aggie fabric in his!
ReplyDeleteA very sweet and soon to be well-loved quilt! Also love that you are training the next generation of quilters or at the least quilt appreciators!!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! Well, at least she didn't see the whole quilt on your design wall. So there will be some surprise. It looks wonderful with the soft colors and the added stars.
ReplyDelete-Soma
Wow that is just a beautiful quilt! And the kids and their pillows are too cute! xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful quilt that is! I love the stars in the midst of some it. Was that. your own addition? The kids looks so sweet with their patriotic pillows. Funny how some kids just know how to find what you are hiding from them!
ReplyDeleteWhat an adorable quilt, Linda! I love your final version. The addition of stars is brilliant. Laney is one smart cookie! Such a great idea--make patriotic pillows with the GKs!!! Love it!!!
ReplyDelete